Five Tips To Be a Good Manager
November 16, 2012
Question: I have just become the new manager in my department. This is scary for me because I want to start off on the right foot with my department. It is important for me to know what being a good boss entails so I can prove that I am capable of leading a department. Any input on this?
Answer: Congratulations on your promotion/appointment. I have no doubt that your manager made the right choice. He must think you are a proactive individual who will work hard to achieve company goals. There are many qualities a good manager encompasses.
To be a good manager, keep these five things in mind.
1. A good manager listens to his team. Your team can give you valuable input and ideas. Listen to what they have to say about things and take them into consideration.
2. A good manager sets goals for his team. Look at the company goals and tie them into measurable goals for your department. Be specific in the goals you set.
3. A good manager gives recognition and praise. Show your team you see what they are doing. People like to be recognised for their work. People like to know they are important to their team and are a valuable asset.
4. A good manager leads his team with confidence. Be assertive and confident in voicing your opinion and what you want to get done. Stay proactive and follow up with your team on projects.
5. A good manager sets a good example. Be aware of your actions and set an example for your department to look up to.
Copyright © 2012 Singapore Institute of Management