How to Write an Effective Press Release in One Hour or Less
November 12, 2012
This article outlines the basic steps and instructions for writing a press release quickly. Writers that follow these simple rules should be able to write an effective press release in an hour or less
Write the Headline First
The whole writing process starts with the headline. The headline is a single sentence statement that announces what the news is. Companies, organisations, or individuals have thousands of opportunities to announce news. A company's news can be a new product or service, new feature, new website, new office location, new employee, new award... The headline should be 100 characters or less including spaces. Writing the Body of the Press Release
The body of the press release expands on the "Who, What, When, Where, How, and Why" of the announcement or news. The details in a press release should be limited to the "facts" about the announcement or news. Opinion, fluff, or hype is not appropriate. Statements promoting the product or service should not be included. It is important for the readers to form their own opinions from reading the details and facts in the press release.
Important Press Release Writing Tips
1. Press releases should always be written in third person.
2. Press releases must be written with the "journalist" or "media outlet" as the audience. Never write a press release as if you are trying to sell to the reader. Press releases that resemble a sales letter are considered "press release spam". They will create more harm than good. Remember that the purpose of your press release is to announce your news, not sell.
3. Always include plenty of contact info. A contact name, E-mail address, phone and at least three links to your Web site should be included in every press release.
4. Company background info is very valuable. This is usually done by including a section at the bottom of the press release just before the contact info titled "About XYZ Company or Organisation".
5. Send a new press release at least once a month. With the huge amount of information on the internet, news is quickly forgotten. Some organisations even send a new press release every day. It is important to constantly come up with new and interesting news to announce to the public.
6. It is important for a press release to be new, interesting, unique, and exciting. Only the most interesting press releases get noticed.
7. Keep your press release short and simple. 250 to 500 words is best.
8. Add ### at the bottom of each press release to signify the end.
Copyright © 2012 Singapore Institute of Management